Tuesday 17 June 2014

Recipe: Grain Free Bread



I'm back from my conference in Deauville. 

It was really great, I spent three days networking, talking, catching up with old friends and ex-colleagues, smelling old and new things and getting inspired.

Once back home we had guests over on Saturday and on Sunday to BBQ. This of course involved getting several delicious flat breads and dips from our fabulous Arabic/ Mediterrannean supermarket at the end of the street. Since several grains cause allergic skin reactions for me, I need to eat grain free bread. Not such a simple thing. I try to eat a fairly ketogenic/ low carb diet, so many of the gluten free breads you can buy in store are out too.

Maria Emmerich has a great recipe for bread, and I used that for inspiration to create my own. It's reminiscent in taste to Waldkorn brood, a Dutch very dark wholegrain bread.

I've been making this bread for about six months now and I usually make two loaves at a time and slice them up and freeze the slices so I always have some bread on hand if I fancy it.

Here's the recipe:

'wholewheat' seed bread for allergics, inspired by Maria Emmerich

Makes 2 medium sized loaves.
One serving is 2 slices.


Ingredients:

2 medium sized bread loaf pans, I use silicone
1 cup blanched almond flour
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup flax meal
90 grams psylium husk powder
1/4 cup cracked flaxseeds brown
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda, aluminium free
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt, fine
5 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar, unfiltered
7 egg whites
2 tablespoons lightly roasted macadamia nut oil or another oil of your choice
1 3/4 cup boiling water



I use measuring cups and spoons because it's so easy and since I've had to adapt a lot of US recipes it just seemed to be the logical option. You can find them in most good kitchen stores and of course online.


Preheat oven (upper/lower heat setting) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ 175 degrees Celsius.

Mix all dry ingredients apart from the seeds well. Add the seeds, mix well again. Then with a kitchen machine with the dough appliance (I used a handheld mixer with dough hooks) add the egg whites, the vinegar and the oil and knead well until mixed. You should have crumbs. Then boil the water and pour it in the bowl immediately and knead until sticky and well mixed. To do this I also use a regular handheld mixer with the dough hooks. It saves time and isn't so messy. Divide the dough into two, and fill the two medium sized bread tins with the dough. Press down so there aren't any large gaps, this prevents too many holes in the bread when cooked later on. The tins are up to 1/3 to 1/2 full. Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Take the bread from the tins and set on the rack with the oven off and the door open for 10 to 20 minutes to dry out completely. Then move bread to a cooling rack and cut when cooled off into medium slices. Freeze those that you are not going to eat, and keep the rest in the fridge.



Enjoy! I love toasting my bread and spreading it with mushed avocado with a little garlic and seasalt. But the world's your oyster really!

Tomorrow, I'll post a short review of my latest used deodorants.

xxx C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments and critiques constructive, clean and friendly, thank you!