Wednesday 4 February 2015

Lots of keto foods: recipes and pictures! PART 1

I've been paying attention to my macros lately and adapting lots of Low Carb and High Carb favourites to suit my keto macro needs.

I also bought a CrockPot and have been using it for slow cooking and of course for making bone broth! I'm going to be daring and even make some fish stock soon! I ordered some fish bones and heads, etc from the fresh fish counter at my local supermarket and picking them up this weekend, so I'll get back to you on that one!

First off, my favourite breakfast: Keto Porridge, Dutch style...

Keto Porridge, Dutch style
serves 2
ingredients:
1TB ground flax seeds
2TB ground almonds
2TB ground hazelnuts
2TB chia seeds
4TB dried coconut, I use finely chopped, it looks a little like sawdust!
2 scoops protein powder (I use Source Naturals vanilla whey protein powder)
1TB gelatin powder (I use Great Lakes Beef Gelatin)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean
sweetener to taste (I use stevia powder)
pinch of celtic or himalayan salt
1/2 cup double cream (I use organic cream)
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 TB butter (I use Kerrygold)


In a small pan mix all the dry ingredients. Add the cream and the water, whisk until everything is mixed and let stand for 5 or so minutes. The mixture will thicken. Now slowly heat the mixture until it starts bubbling. Keep stirring and turn the heat to low for another minute or two. As you are heating the mixture it will get less solid, but don't worry, if you serve it will thicken up properly again. If you find the mixture too thick, just add a little more water.

To serve, divide the mixture into two bowls, add more sweetener if you feel you need it and top the porridge with a TB of butter. EAT!
I prepare the dry mixture beforehand and divide it per portion in a plastic bag. Then, when I want to eat my breakfast I have everything ready and I can cook it in 7 minutes. Perfect.


Next up: Oopsies, my style; I used Cleochatra's recipe (My Lighter Life) as my starting point and added a few bits so they held up better and had a bit more flavour. These are savoury keto replacement bread buns.

Oopsies, my style
makes approx 14-16 buns
ingredients:
6 large eggs at room temperature, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (Weinsteinbackpulver)
200gm package plain cream cheese (I use Buko, der Sahnige)
2 TB bleached almond flour
2 TB flaxmeal
4 TB ground parmesan cheese
pinch of salt
ground black pepper
paprika powder, unsmoked

Preheat oven to upper lower heat setting and to 160 degrees celsius.

Separate the eggs and add the cream of tartar to the egg whites. Also add a pinch of salt. In another bowl mix the yolks with the cream cheese, the almond flour, the flax meal, the parmesan cheese, a little salt, pepper and paprika. I use a handheld mixer and make sure everything is well blended.
Then whip the egg whites until very stiff and slowly fold into the yolk mixture. Once mixed (it's ok if not perfectly mixed) get two baking sheets and line them with parchment paper. On each sheet drop about 6-8 mounds of the mixture, making them a little flatter and a bit round. I don't really worry about the shape. Then put the sheets above one another in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Then switch the sheets round so all the buns get cooked evenly and let cook for another 15 minutes. Then turn off oven and leave with the door open for about 5 minutes. Take the buns, they will be pretty flat by now, out of the oven and leave them to cool on a rack.

To store, use a container and layer the buns between paper and keep the lid loosly on top. These keep up to a week or so in the fridge and they can be frozen too. When you thaw them, make sure some air can get to them, otherwise they become wet and sticky. The buns can be toasted as well.


Next recipe: creamy spinach and ground beef. It's really a beef florentine style dish, made simple for a quick meal.


Creamy spinach and ground beef

serves 2
ingredients:
2 TB expeller pressed coconut oil
250 grams of ground beef
salt
pepper
paprika powder
dried majoram
dried basil
1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
4 oz cream cheese





In a heavy bottomed pan melt the coconut oil and fry the beef. Halfway through the beef being cooked, add the herbs and the spices. Make sure the beef is broken up properly. Once cooked, add the spinach and heat through. Finally add the cream cheese. Serve on top of shirataki rice or noodles and top with some freshly ground parmesan cheese. This meal takes about 15 minutes to cook, so perfect when you have little time and still want a nutritious dinner.

Part 2 coming up after the break... xxx C.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments and critiques constructive, clean and friendly, thank you!